Something’s not right.
Ever read a book and have a sinking realization, that FEELING, that something is…off? Could it be that one protagonist that has A BUTT LOAD of insecurities–So many that it’s kind of annoying ? Or how about that one guy that is just too… perfect?
I’m very sad to inform you that you have run into an overused character trope…
1. The HAWT guy. Pfft. The dude is so HANDSOME-FUL, so EPICAL, that he looks like he belongs on the cover of a magazine or walk down a runaway sporting Calvin Kleins?
2. The brooder: He’s the one guy that everyone is scared of but all the girls want. And of course, we have the MC who is too scared to approach him. Later in the book, he falls for her, and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.
Usually the hawt guy has this deep, dark secret that can’t get out. If he does, it will destroy him AND his family, not to mention, put the MC in danger.
DRUM ROLL PLEASSEEEEEEEE.
A blood suckling vampire who wants to eat her.
Ya, been there. Read that… like a BILLION times.
3. People-Pusher-Awayer-Guy. He’s the one with the dark past, known for pushing people away because it’s good for them.
4. “Overly Devoted Guy. This is the one guy that is soooooo devoted to the MC out of the friggin’ blue that he falls in love with her within like TWO POINT FIVE SECONDS OF MEETING HER.
PFFT. THIS CHARACTER TROPE MUST DIE. NOW.
5. Wishy Washy. Sure. We get it. He loves her but he’s not sure he wants to be with her. Oh, I don’t know. Maybe he’s trying to protect her from his past or something. Either way,’ol dude has a SECRET. BIG TIME. And he doesn’t want her to get caught.I get it. He’s noble. But still…. I need something new.
1. “Elfish” best friend who is crazy into fashion or crazy hair, etc.
Every single time I read this, I’m like: YO, I KNOW YOU COPYING OFF ALICE FROM TWILIGHT.
She is so crazy into fashion but for some reason, the MC doesn’t really like to dress up or wear make up? It’s as if being into fashion is like, a bad thing or something. Grates on my nerves. I’m not really a girlie girl but I do appreciate fashion and fingernail polish and stuff. Just saying, the female MC should like fashion from time to time.
2. The Low Self Esteem Chick. UGH. Snatch out my eyeballs, already. I’m so tired of reading about females with low self esteem that don’t believe they are worth being loved, and find it hard to believe a guy has feelings for her because WHY WOULD HE BE? SHE’S NOT GOOD ENOUGH, RIGHT?
I don’t know about you guys but if the MC isn’t at least a little confident, or if she is openly down on herself, it turns me off.
LIKE. NO. BRO.
3. The enemy. This chick is usually played by an unbelievably beautiful model-looking girl, she has to be the better looking one. Oh! And let’s not forget! She’s always mean, self centered, and out to get the MC just because they happen to like the same guy.
So yeah, if you’ve noticed any of these tropes while reading, you’ve run across a character trope that is SO LAST YEAR. *In my preppy voice*
What are some overdone character tropes ya’ll have come across? And does anyone remember Play Doh? Or green slime?? Like, FO REAL, that stuff used to be epically-epical when I was a kid. Just sayin’.